Wednesday 21 November 2012

Animals we have ......nearly seen

We thought about having a new blog tab with this name, because we are developing a knack for missing animals.  So the first entry under this would, I guess, be the Jaguar we nearly saw in the Pantanal a couple of months ago that we reported on.  And then more recently, when we got to La Paloma, we were hoping to see the last of the Southern Right Whales, but we were reliably informed on arrival that it was three weeks since one had been seen.  Here at Cabo Polonio its the same situation, although to be fair that’s hardly surprising since we are only 100km up the same coast.

So whereas most people can show you photos of spurting whales, or graceful tails waving in the sea, we, on the other hand, can show you a photo of the unspoiled sea.

A whale was here three weeks ago.  A really big one. 
Also under this section, we should probably include the animals we witnessed on the beach at La Paloma, which, as Frankie can attest (in English and Spanish!) included four dead birds, one dead sealion, two dead penguins and a dead armadillo. 


Given our hitherto almost fruitless search for a penguin colony, this might also be a place to mention the inappropriately named “Los penguinos’” on Isabela, in the Galapagos, given that we actually only saw one penguin on the entire island. Maybe it’s plural on the basis that given you pass the island on the outward and return journey, we saw a penguin on the way back too, but it was clearly the same one. Maybe it was nailed there. 

El Penguino at Los Penguinos
We're heading for Puerto Madryn and Puerto Deseado in Southern Argentina soon, where we have a good chance of seeing whales and penguins. So they almost certainly won't end up on this page.  Fingers crossed. 

2 comments:

  1. The Lemmie Whisperer!23 November 2012 at 16:56

    Hi Boys ... I read about your adventures in Montevideo .. Frankie walking into a post..ouch! and Louis looking for his lost friend. Well Louis, now I know who Lemmie is ...(last time we spoke I think I might have looked a little blank because I thought you said Lenny ... and I was thinking ...where am I going to find a Lenny!!) So, I closed my eyes to see if I could get a feeling of where Lemmie is, and like Daddy said, I have a feeling that because he was such a special individual,he might have been invited to go with another little child who will love him nearly as much as you do ....and I get a feeling that he says he misses you but please don't worry, he is fine and thinks of you. Maybe you can put a photo of you and Lemmie on your next blog as a special page for you and him. Goodnight Boys Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anita for making me feel better about Lemmie. From Louis

    ReplyDelete