Sunday 14 October 2012

My far away birthday!


My birthday was always going to be a little different given the situation. For a start there was nowhere on the Ilha do Mel, this little island off the Brazilian coast, to buy birthday cards. (Although Phil had ample opportunity in previous weeks!!) However there was a little shop that sold beach clothes and little wooden rings and Phil and the boys chose me a lovely coconut wedding ring to replace the one that is safely at home and a nice little beachy number to wear over my bikini. 

I've always loved the French....
Thanks to Louis' new-found film-making skills from Apple Summer Camp, they also put together a movie with some of the better bits from the last month, and this formed part of my birthday celebration that kicked off the moment I woke up. (see album below if you want to enjoy this)

The boys of course jumped on me and sang me happy birthday first of all, and then I opened my solitary birthday card (not counting emails and e cards, thanks for all those!) from Mum and Dad that had survived relatively unscathed in Phil's rucksack. 

After a pancake-based breakfast, we took a boat over to Nova Brasilia, the “Capital” (same as Encantadas but with a couple more restaurants and pousadas) and from there we walked 30 minutes to the “Farol” (lighthouse) and stopped at the beach there to watch a surfing competition.   We ended up having lunch overlooking that beach, and then climbed the hill afterwards to see the lighthouse.  Frankie can probably still tell you how many steps there were (actually just checked and Louis reliably informed me that it was 175 stone steps. We then walked about 4km after lunch along several beaches on the opposite edge of the island to Encantadas, and headed through the forest as darkness fell to get home just in time. 


The boys playing on the rocks before the scary bit
We had something of an adventure along the way when we got to the end of one of the long stretches of beach and there was no longer an obvious route.  We stepped up onto some rocks to see if we could find a way round.  The waves were crashing around the rocks as we stepped a little further on to try and find a way.  We were all wearing ridiculous shoes for this particular adventure.  Phil and I in flip flops and the boys in their crocs, although I’m sure the Brazilian folk wouldn’t have thought so.   The rocks were getting bigger and steeper and the waves seemed to be creeping up on us.  I questioned whether this was a sensible route to take (if it was indeed the route at all). My least favourite pastime is rock-hopping especially in flip flops!  The boys sensed my panic and started to get upset, which I felt very bad about.  Phil said he would have a look a little further and for us to wait while he did.  As he hopped ably over a few more very large rocks the boys dramatically said they didn’t want Daddy to die!  I tried to calm them down feeling extremely guilty that I had caused this total panic in the first place.  Phil beckoned us to come over and we crept slowly across. I was still unsure that we were going the right way but Louis shouted and pointed to an arrow that was painted on one of the rocks.  We all felt  a sense of relief and the boys started hopping more confidently over some very large and pointy rocks.  My heart was in my mouth for most of this as I can’t bear watching them do this.......can’t help having visions of them falling, especially given Frankies' accident in Canada a couple of years ago where his chin still bears the scar from the slippery rock he fell on.

Back at our Pousada, recovered and enjoying dinner, the boys then surprised me with a lovely Birthday cake that Phil had organised.  I think it turned out to be a little bigger than he expected, as it took us several days to wade through, and we were somewhat conflicted because the kind french owners of our pousada made such good pancakes!

All in all though, a lovely day and made better by so many kind emails from family and friends at home.




Here's the video that Phil and the boys made for me........



1 comment:

  1. Great to see all the pictures from the blog come to life.

    ReplyDelete